- Actor and education activist
- Con to the question "Do Standardized Tests Improve Education in America?"
“I shudder to think that these [standardized] tests are being used today to control where funding goes.
I don’t know where I would be today if my teachers’ job security was based on how I performed on some standardized test. If their very survival as teachers was based not on whether I actually fell in love with the process of learning but rather if I could fill in the right bubble on a test. If they had to spend most of their time desperately drilling us and less time encouraging creativity and original ideas; less time knowing who we were, seeing our strengths and helping us realize our talents.”
Address to Save Our Schools rally in Washington, DC, YouTube.com, July 30, 2011
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Board Member, Greendimes (anti-junk mail organization)
- Co-Founder, Water.org (global safe drinking water organization)
- Co-Nominee, National Education Association (NEA) Friend of Education Award, 2012 (nomination declined by nominees on Jan. 4, 2012)
- Narrator, American Teacher (documentary), 2011
- Actor, We Bought a Zoo (2011), The Adjustment Bureau (2011), True Grit (2010), Invictus (2009), The Bourne Ultimatum (2007), The Good Shepherd (2006), The Departed (2006), Syriana (2005), The Bourne Supremacy (2004), The Bourne Identity (2002), Oceans Eleven (2001), The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999), Saving Private Ryan (1997), Good Will Hunting (1997), and other films
- Executive Producer, Running the Sahara (documentary, 2007), Project Greenlight (TV series, 2001-2005), and other films and TV programs
- Recipient, star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, 2007
- Co-Screenwriter, Gerry (2002) and Good Will Hunting (1997)
- Co-Winner, Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, 1998
- Attended Harvard University
- Attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin School
- Damon’s mother, Nancy Carlsson-Paige, is a professor of early childhood education at Lesley University, Cambridge, MA
- Legal name is Matthew Paige Damon
- Born in Cambridge, MA on October 8, 1970
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Do Standardized Tests Improve Education in America?