- Education Blogger for WashingtonPost.com's "The Answer Sheet"
- Con to the question "Do Standardized Tests Improve Education in America?"
“Obama and now [Chicago Mayor Rahm] Emanuel opted for schools that do not require teachers to spend hours a week drilling kids to pass standardized tests, and they don’t evaluate teachers by how well their students do on those assessments. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and his wife send their children to Arlington public schools in Virginia. Neither the Arlington Public School system, nor Sidwell [attended by Obama’s children], nor The Lab Schools [attended by Emanuel’s children], assess teachers by student standardized test grades, which is a bad idea sweeping the country, encouraged by the Obama administration.”
“Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Chooses Private School for Kids,” WashingtonPost.com, July 21, 2011
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Education Blogger, “The Answer Sheet,” WashingtonPost.com, 2009-present
- Former Education Correspondent, Washington Post
- Former Assistant Foreign Editor for Asia, Washington Post
- Co-Creator, Schools and Learning Page, Washington Post
- Attended Everglades Elementary School, Miami, FL
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Do Standardized Tests Improve Education in America?